We are Byrnes & Kiefer Company; hiding in plain sight! A little about us…
Boasting Pittsburgh pride, all the way back from 1902! In our current 60,000-square-foot facility, product development and operation, spur ongoing growth.
Come mix it up with a progressive production team as a R&D Quality Assurance Pastry Chef in Callery, PA! Our state-of-the-art production and baking facility is ready to add outstanding employees as our secret ingredient.
What do we offer our employees?
- Working Hours: Monday-Friday, 7:30 am-5:00 pm;
- COMPREHENSIVE BENEFITS… We offer above industry standards: Medical, Dental, Vision, 401K with a match, and 14 PTO days
*Vision provided at no cost to the employee (if Dental coverage is elected);
- Progressive Environment; and
- Continued Growth… Climb your sweet ladder of success at B&K.
What’s our recipe for employee success?
- Eye for detail when making our dough and running machines;
- Effective communication, with a diverse population of co-workers and managers;
- Teamwork… The Production team works cooperatively to meet quotas and goals;
- Comfortable with working on an elevated platform… We use heavy machinery;
- Understanding… Sharing different viewpoints;
- Tic-toc… Time management; and
- Fragrance and Allergy Tolerance… We are cooking confectionery products.
Your Responsibilities at a Glance:
- Interface with sales, marketing and R&D leadership teams to understand customer-consumer needs and operational parameters, creating and modifying existing recipes related to new technology and equipment specifications;
- Interface with production personnel to solve problems, enhance quality, and assess manufacturability of new products;
- Manage concept cost and operational parameters, delivering practical product solutions;
- Organize recipe formulas and solutions for assigned projects/products and maintain database of the ideas to promote product and process innovation;
- Reverse engineer offerings in the marketplace to suit company capabilities and/or customers;
- Develop recipes/product applications for company websites, trade journal publications, cookbooks, and catalogs to promote Byrnes & Kiefer Company and Carolina Cookie Company branded products;
- Backup QC testing as necessary (baking, pH testing, solids testing, etc.);
- Manage kitchen inventory to effectively prepare and execute world-class on-site culinary presentations for visiting customers;
- Assist with preparation and organization of culinary products and ideation for sales customers (internal and external) and group presentations, effectively communicating purpose and addressing queries concisely;
- Demonstrate a working knowledge of all product categories sold, effectively translating into viable product concepts and customer solutions, verbally and through documentation;
- Assist with styling and set up for product photography; and
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Associates degree in Baking & Pastry Arts, Bachelor’s degree in Culinary Nutrition with Food Science Concentration. Continuous education on culinary industry trends.
Other Duties and Responsibilities:
- Some travel may be required; typically <10%; and
- Strong knowledge of retail in store bakery, food service operations and managing bakery operations.
- 1-2 years Food Science, Bakery, or related experience;
- Experience with ESHA Food Process/Genesis R&D preferred;
- Must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily; and
- Perform the job responsibilities with or without reasonable accommodations.
- Strong creative and bakery ability;
- Developed interpersonal skills for working with all internal and external personnel;
- Food Manufacturing/R&D experience is a plus;
- Impeccable organizational skills, prioritizing tasks and deadlines with accuracy and precision;
- Must be a quick, progressive thinker who can handle and advise on various situations;
- Effective communication skills and a can do, positive attitude; and
- Proficiency in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, and Power Point.
- Write reports and business correspondence;
- Read and comprehend production documents;
- Complete batch formulas and production sheets; and
- Understand safety procedures.
Add, subtract, multiply, and divide, in all units of measure, using whole numbers and common fractions, and decimals.
This job has no supervisory abilities.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to microwaves and manufacturing equipment.
The noise level is moderate.
While performing the duties of this job the employee is frequently required to stand, walk,
reach with hands and arms, and maintain balance. The employee is frequently required to lift all weights up to 25 lbs. regularly, up to 50 lbs. occasionally. The employee will work a standing 4-hour shift in a kitchen, lab, and manufacturing operations setting on various surface types.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
CLICK HERE to download this Job Description.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, ethnicity, disability, religion, national origin, gender, gender identity, gender expression, marital status, sexual orientation, age, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.